The importance of student-life balance


(Photo Credit: Pexels)

As a student, generally, life can get pretty stressful. You’re trying to balance a million and one things, and still somehow be remotely alive. It’s draining. Don’t get me wrong, this is not a sob story, and neither would I want anyone to feel sorry for us students. But, could you at least cut us some slack?

I would forgive you for thinking that we all binge-drink and are sexually promiscuous because, well, that’s how the media portray us. Whilst those elements can play a part in some people’s university experience, it’s definitely not the norm for everybody.

If I take myself as an example, I wouldn’t say I’m the 'typical' student. I don’t get a day off to binge-watch Stranger Things on Netflix, and I certainly don’t have the liver to down multiple jagerbombs on a Wednesday night. But I do have a job, an internship, I’m a student representative, I compete with a successful cheerleading team and I somehow manage to have a social life. Kind of. I’m much more prone to spending a cozy night in, with a cheeseboard and a rom-com, but who isn’t?

See, university life for me is all about balance, and sometimes the lack of it.

There’s increasing pressure on today’s students to stand out in the competitive graduate job market, and I’m not taking any risks. With university fees at an eye-watering £9000, (sorry to all those first years who now pay £9250) I want to make sure I’m getting enough bang for my buck.

University should definitely be seen as a door. It can lead you anywhere, and the possibilities are endless. I had the unfortunate pleasure of working full-time before heading to university and often struggled to make opportunities happen for myself, but at university, they’re practically handed to you on a plate. There are a plethora of exciting things out there, like training opportunities, societies, sports teams and work experiences, just to name a few.

My advice to any fresh-faced undergraduate of today is to take the student experience with both hands and give it all you’ve got. But you’ve got to remember the balance. University life is hard. You’re hit with multiple deadlines and increasing financial worry, so don’t be too hard on yourself. 

I’m definitely the kind of person who beats themselves up for not doing enough, when the fact of the matter is, sometimes I do too much. Mark, my counselor says I suffer from chronic perfectionism. And no, that’s not a real thing. I’m just a bit of a nightmare.

I personally feel the three years you spend at university should be a personal investment. So, whilst grabbing your flatmates for a round at the local for the third-night running might seem like a great idea at the time, just remember, balance. 

Until next time,


Comments